The conference programme committee welcomes proposals on all aspects of economic and social history covering a wide range of periods and countries and, particularly, papers of an interdisciplinary nature. Scholars are not expected to present a paper in more than one session (including as a co-author). Those currently studying for, or who have recently completed, a PhD should submit a proposal to the New Researcher session.
Proposals should be submitted online via the link below. You will be asked to submit:
- The title of the paper proposed.
- A short abstract of the paper proposed (300-500 words).*
- Up to 4 keywords, which can be used to help the conference coordinating committee allocate papers between sessions.
- Contact details.
- A brief academic c.v.
* The abstract(s) should explain the background to the paper; the questions it addresses; the sources and methods it employs; and likely conclusions.
For full consideration, proposals must be received by 16 November 2020. Notices of acceptance will be sent to individual paper givers by the end of November 2020.
Should your paper be accepted, you will be asked to provide the following:
- A revised abstract of the paper (750-1,000 words) for inclusion in the conference booklet. Deadline: 18 December 2020.
- An electronic copy of your full paper or a web address where it is available for consultation. Deadline: 1 March 2021.
- A short piece for the Society’s blog, The Long Run.
It is the normal expectation that speakers who submit a proposal to the committee should be able to obtain independent financial support for their travel and conference attendance. However, a very limited support fund exists to assist overseas speakers who are unable to obtain funding from their own institution or from another source. Details of this fund and an application form can be obtained from the Society’s administrator. It is important that a completed application form is submitted by the September deadline. Only in exceptional circumstances will later applications for support be considered.